“Week in, week out, Joanne holds a space for 5Rhythms® with passion, patience, clear intention, great eclectic music, a sense of humour and, above all, deep respect for the transformative nature of this work.”
— JB, student
Joanne is skilled at grounding, tracking, and transforming the energy of a group. A natural catalyst, she uses evocative music and language, clear intention, good humour – and her spidey-senses – to consistently create a field where energy moves and healing happens. Her teaching is rooted in a lifelong engagement with her own personal work. Joanne continues to deepen and refine her work through ongoing practice with teachers, mentors, and colleagues from a range of modalities and traditions.
In Victoria, Joanne’s classes and workshops provide a place of nourishment, connection, and steady practice – a local watering-hole – for activists, counselors, parents, healers, gardeners, students, artists, craftspeople, meditators, guides, service-workers, community contributors and soulful seekers of all stripes. She considers it her job, her joy, and her great good fortune to hold space for people whose presence, good work, connection and well-being enlivens and sustains our community.
“Joanne’s teaching style uniquely combines both gentleness and fire: nurturing us where we’re at while also challenging our growth.”
— Tamara, student
Training and Experience:
- A dancer/gymnast/poet/mystic from the start
- Modern dance and performance with Lynda Raino, 1985 to 2005
- 5Rhythms movement since 1996, intensive study/immersion with Gabrielle Roth and Moving Center School faculty from 1999 to 2013
- Organizing workshops and events with local and visiting teachers since 2000
- Weekly 5Rhythms practices and classes in Victoria since 2001 (with support and permission of Gabrielle Roth)
- 5Rhythms Teacher Trainings: 2004-2005 (‘Waves’ level with Gabrielle and faculty) and 2014-2015 (‘Heartbeat’ level with Jonathan Horan)
- Community events and fundraisers to benefit a range of organizations and causes Dancing Across Borders, Power of Hope, Sierra Club BC, and others.
Teachers and Mentors:
- Lynda Raino, 1985 to 2004
- Gabrielle Roth (in person 2000 – 2012, in dreams and on dance floors to this day)
- Kathy Altman since 2000
- Andrea Juhan, PhD since 2003
- Jonathan Horan since 2005
- Stephen Jenkinson (Orphan Wisdom School, Deacon, Ontario) since 2014
Want to organize a workshop in your community? You can!
To find out more about hosting a workshop – or about mentoring, coaching, and other offerings – please email email@example.com.
The 5Rhythms® is a powerful movement practice which guides participants to re-connect with their own innate body-knowledge, wellness, and wisdom. Since 2001, Joanne has held a steady space for the growth and evolution of Victoria’s robust dance community, and has shared her love of this practice with hundreds of students throughout the region. As a teacher, student, producer, and collaborator, Joanne approaches this movement practice with a deep respect for its transformational nature, and for the unique discovery process of each participant.